Get Free Music Every Friday

Click here and put in your email - I'll deliver a great song to your inbox every Friday!

Thursday, May 2, 2019

5/3/19 George Kahn Trio - Wonton Kelly (Featuring Alex Acuña)

I think my favorite part of making a new album is the chance to work with the top studio musicians in Los Angeles. I often think, "I'm not worthy", but the reality is that if you have talent, interesting compositions and a positive attitude, people want to play and make creative music.
My favorite drummer/percussionist is Alex Acuña. I have had the pleasure of working with Alex on three of my albums (you may have heard of him as a member of Weather Report), and when I called him up to play on my 2017 trio album he didn't hesitate for a moment, he was all in.
The song Wonton Kelly is dedicated to one of my piano heroes, Wynton Kelly (Wynton worked with Miles Davis for many years). I called in Wonton Kelly because of all the 4ths and 5ths in the melody - it has kind of an Asian melody over an Afro-cuban beat. Alex plays an AMAZING solo, around 3:15 into the song. Check it out!

If you like what you hear, Alex will be joining me for a rare live show at The World Stage in Liemert Park on Saturday night.  Come join us! http://bit.ly/GK3WS
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Johnny Paycheck - Take This Job and Shove It

  Johnny Paycheck: Take This Job And Shove It In honor of Labor Day... In honor of all the working folks out there, here is Johnny Payche...